NCFE Music Technology
Our curriculum vision applies to all our young people, regardless of background, gender, sexual orientation or ability.
Our young people will develop a life-long love of learning through our rich, broad and balanced Arts curriculum and expert delivery. The Arts reaches people in every stage of their life whether it is through music, art, dance, drama or film. It allows them to explore and express emotions, either by providing a mirror to their life or as an audience. We will endeavour to immerse the pupils in authentic, challenging and practical Arts experiences.
All students at Heworth Grange School are without exception entitled to a world class education that is holistic, ambitious and aspirational. The Arts offers windows into worlds and cultures that young people may otherwise never experience. We are committed to providing a curriculum that offers opportunities both within and beyond the classroom that allow pupils to explore and develop their talents and interests in the Arts.
It is vital that we prepare our young people so that they are empowered to become engaged positive and respectful citizens through a dedicated focus on professional development. The Arts encourage an environment where creativity, independent thinking, dedication and confidence are nurtured and supported and where students are comfortable to demonstrate passion and self-expression and be proud to share their work.
We are responsible for ensuring our young people are confident to pursue ambitious next steps in education, employment or training which will support their future careers. It is our continued aim to provide inspirational and aspirational experiences with “real world” Arts practitioners, enlightening young pupil to the vast array of career opportunities the Arts offers. Our curriculum is designed to allow pupils to benefit from the Arts regardless of their future career through opportunities to develop confidence and communication skills.
Click on the document at the bottom of this page to view an easy read version of the full curriculum overview
NCFE Tech Award in Music Technology
This course is for anyone who enjoys the technical aspect of music rather than playing instruments and performing. If you enjoy creating music on Garageband and would like to know how to use a recording studio then this is the course for you. However, this is not a purely technical course. You will also develop your creativity and listening skills – both of which are essential for good music technologists.
- Unit 1 Using a Digital Audio Workstation.
- Looking at the hardware and software needed to create music using MIDI and audio. You will then create a piece of music demonstrating the features available and evaluate it.
- Unit 2 Creating Music.
- You will research a style of music of your choice and then compose an original piece in your chosen style using software instruments and recorded audio.
- Unit 3 Studio Recording.
- The ability to create audio recordings is essential for anyone with a desire to work in the music industry in a technical role. In this unit, you will use music technology to create multi-track recordings; recording a range of audio sources (instruments and vocals) and learning how to mix the recording down into a final track.
- Unit 4 Sound Creation.
- You will explore how sound and music are added to a range of media such as films, adverts, and video games. You will then compose and record all the sound for a short animation.
The course is assessed by a portfolio and two tests. Over the two years you will generate evidence across all four units through a range of assignments, this will be your portfolio. There are two tests in year 11: one written that is based on understanding of the equipment and processes you have studied over the four units and listening skills and one practical where you are given a task to complete on Garageband within a set time.
- Portfolio – 50% of final grade
- Written test – 15% of final grade
- Practical text – 35% of final grade
Additional Information & Who to Contact
If you require any further information or have any questions, then please contact Mrs Anderson on email@example.com